Saturday, October 10, 2009

Welcome to the Entertaining Law Blog!!

Readers of my other blog, Entertaining Thoughts, know that I am a lawyer with a deep and undying devotion to entertainment.  I used to produce special events, worked on Broadway, have an actress for a wife (she's a baker too!), and am an avid viewer of television, theater, and movies.  Every now and again, my interests collide.  When this has happened, I have posted an analysis of the pertinent issues on Entertaining Thoughts.  Well, as this occurs semi-regularly, I decided that my readers, my blog, and I might all benefit from a single place to discuss these issues.  Hence, I bring you Entertaining Law!

Entertaining Law will focus on the legal issues that arise in the entertainment industry.  Whether it be trademark, copyright, contract, publishing, or sports issues, I will offer my analysis of the problem here.  Really, any legal issue being addressed in the business that is show is fair game for this blog.  One caveat: I am NOT interested in turning this blog into a police blotter.  I don't care if Britney Spears gets arrested at Pure for indecent exposure, or if Jack Nicholson gets pulled over for reckless driving.  I'm interested in discussing J.K. Rowling being sued for copyright infringement, or NBC being sued for stealing a graphics company's fonts (blog post on this very soon).  A lot of times, I won't have all the specific claims, although I will seek the actual court filings where possible.  If I can't find the filings, I will still discuss the law behind them so we may all have a better understanding of what is being argued.

As these types of cases don't come up every day, posting here will not be a daily, or maybe even weekly thing.  When these issues do arise though, I will try to dig deep into them.  Hopefully, if this is successful, those with a love of entertainment, but a lack of a legal education (and trust me, that is not the worst thing in the world.  In fact, DON'T go to law school if you're thinking about it.  Save the money!  Go to Europe instead!) will better understand the sometimes sticky issues artists of all sorts encounter. 

Below, please find a few posts from Entertaining Thoughts similar to the ones that will regularly populate this space.  Thanks again for reading, and hopefully we'll talk soon.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The purpose of this blog is to have an exchange of ideas, but please, keep it clean and respectful. That's the only way we can ever learn anything. Thanks.